Toronto Orphanages and Day Nurseries

Matron with three orphans

The Girls' Home

The Girls' Home was incorporated in 1863 as the Girls' Home and Public Nursery. It later amalgamated with the Protestant Orphan's Home to form the Protestant Children's Homes.

The Girls' Home was intended to provide support to young girls up to the age of fourteen. Apprenticeships could be arranged for girls from the age of twelve

Image - Rules and Regulations for the Matron and Children of the Girls' Home and Public Nursery
Rules and Regulations for the Matron and Children of the Girls' Home and Public Nursery. Broadside. 1861. Girls Home

In addition to provincial and civic government grants, the Home received gifts from local benefactors such as: the Ontario Motor League for a trip to Scarboro Beach and a luncheon, the Street Railway Company for free transportation, and the Needlework Guild for donations of useful articles.

Image - The Girls' Home
The Girls' Home, 229 Gerrard Street East. Photograph. 59th Annual Report 1915. Papers of the Orphans' Home and Female Aid Society. L 30