Page 1    Page 2    Page 3    Page 4    Page 5    Page 6    Page 7    Page 8   
Page 9    Page 10    Page 11    Page 12    Page 13    Page 14    Page 15    Page 16   
Page 17   
 
Page 18   
 
Page 19   
 
Page 20   
 
Page 21   
 
Page 22   
 
Page 23
 
To View Full Image Click Thumbnail To View Full Image Click Thumbnail To View Full Image Click Thumbnail To View Full Image Click Thumbnail

Toronto, in the Summer of 1851
Francis Hincks Granger (1827-1915).
Watercolour. 43.2 cm x 137.2 cm.
TPL (TRL) Acc. JRR 341

Looking westward from Gooderham & Worts' mill on Trinity Street to Fort York on the far left. The artist, Francis Hincks Granger, was a scene painter for the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Toronto.

(1-3) Wharf and storehouse, mill and residence of William Gooderham. (4) Trinity Church, (5) St. Paul's Catholic Church, (6) & (7) Latham and Atherley houses, (8) Gaol, (9) the Fair Green, (10) C.C. Small house, (11) Dr. C. Widmer house, (12) Lamb's glue factory (1846), (13) 3 houses owned by Dr. Widmer, (14) Thomas Collier house, (15) Russell Abbey, (16) Toronto Gas Works, (17) John Snarr's steam saw & planing mill, (18) Cull's starch factory and shipyards, (19) St. Lawrence Hall, (20) Commercial Mills and Berst & Halliday's distillery, (21) Leak's soap works, (22) City Hall, (23) old Fish Market, (24) Wellington Hotel, (25) Coffin Block, (27) Maitland's Wharf, (28) Bank of Montreal, (29) Brown's & Yonge Street Wharves, (30) Yonge Street, (31) Tinning's Wharf, (32) Queen's Wharf, (33) old Fort York.

 
A Topographical Plan of the City of Toronto [1851]
Sandford Fleming. Hugh Scobie. 1851.
Lithograph. 66.5 x 90.6 cm.
TPL (TRL) Acc. 1851 Toronto (Fleming)

While Sandford Fleming worked as a land surveyor in 1851, he drew this plan with engravings of the principal buildings of the city around the edges. Toronto's main business and commercial section ran from Princess Street to Bay Street and extended to the water's edge with wharves and warehouses. The area west of Bay Street was not as densely settled, especially along the waterfront, and many houses were shown on large wooded lots. South of Front Street was open land with only a few wharves.
Toronto, C. W. [Canada West] [1950]
Henry W. Vavasour. 1850.
Pen, ink and watercolour. 50.8 x 59.7 cm.
TPL (TRL) Acc. 1850 small Vavasour, Toronto, C.W. JRR 51

A manuscript copy by Henry W. Vavasour, Royal Engineers. The blue area south of Front Street is marked as "Reserved for the Public as a Promenade". The land, although deeded to the people of York in 1818 for a promenade, was still unimproved wasteland. The stream shown flowing into Lake Ontario to the east of the Old Fort is Garrison Creek.
Berkeley House [1850s]
Owen Staples? Ca 1912.
Watercolour. 14.1 x 18.4 cm.
TPL (TRL) Acc. JRR 693

C.C. Small, First Clerk of the Executive Council, built this house, one of the earliest homes in York. It was located on the southwest corner of Berkeley and King streets. Later, it was remodelled into three homes with the original log house in the centre. A photograph in the "1900 on" era of this exhibition shows the house before it was demolished in 1926.