Toronto Harbour 1793, looking west to the Queen's Ranger's Camp

Toronto Harbour 1793

Elizabeth Simcoe, wife of Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe, painted a number of water colours from a vantage point at the eastern end of the harbour, near the mouth of the Don River, an area now known as the Port Lands. This view, looking west along the shore line, shows the encampment of the Queen's Rangers. The location of the encampment is now approximately at the foot of Bathurst Street. This view and its companion views are some of the earliest images of Toronto just prior to settlement.

Toronto Harbour 1793, looking west to the Queen's Ranger's Camp
Elizabeth Simcoe
30 July 1793
Water colour

<< Previous item  |  Return to Historical Pictures.  |  Next item >>